jun

Wordle your Wordpress: Flash based tag cloud plugin

I’ll never forget the day I discovered Wordle. Colourful, uniquely arranged words, sized according to popularity… beautiful!

In September 2007 WordPress 2.3 launched with tagging built-in. The WordPress tag clouds are a great core feature but fall well short of looking as good as Wordle clouds.

Fancy looking tag clouds aren’t for everyone but if you feel your WordPress tag clouds are looking a bit ordinary, read on.

A few weeks ago I met with programmer Neil E. Pearson to discuss a need to make WordPress tag clouds look like Wordle clouds. Collectively, we produced FatCloud. We are in beta release and are seeking help from other WordPress tag cloud users to iron out any bugs before we officially submit it as a plugin to WordPress. Please download and install FatCloud using the link below. We look forward to your feedback.

Download and add FatCloud as a WordPress plugin : http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/netlifes-tag-cloud-fatcloud/

Our flash tag cloud plugin ships with a few skins for you to choose from however you may like to create your own. For those wishing to create their own skin we have made available the .fla and supporting .as files, available as a developer pack here : Developer Pack. Note: font files are not included in the developer pack. While the fonts used in our skins are free to use, it was not known for certain whether we would be entitled to offer them as a download from our website.

FatCloud Example

FatCloud by Netlife

FatCloud Settings

FatCloud Settings

FatCloud Settings

Wordle Theme Settings

Wordle Theme Settings

Wordle Theme Settings

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Add comments | Posted in: Wordpress Plugins

77 Responses to “Wordle your Wordpress: Flash based tag cloud plugin”

1. diego says:

Doesn’t look like fatclould is working under WP 2.9 – getting a fatal error on install. It was working fine under 2.8.

Will this be resolved?

Thanks, I really like the plugin

2. brad says:

@diego Fatcloud is working fine for us after we upgraded to Wordpress version 2.9. Contact us via our Contact page and let us know exactly what the error is that you are getting. We might be able to help.

3. Ivana says:

hey! what about transparent background ?

4. Lama says:

Doesnt work for me, too
    wpmu 2.9
    installs without problems, but when i try to save options i get a “Error! Options page not found.”

5. Lama says:

its perhaps based on this change in wp plugin handling:
    “Plugins need to register their options”

6. Stacy says:

just installed quickly and easily in WP 2.9.1… thank you :)

just a reminder to others having issues… make sure you aren’t trying to use it with php4!

7. vicky says:

Love the way the cloud looks, but can’t install it properly. I don’t know where to embed the code, so I just added the widget to the right sidebar, though the cloud floats on the left side of the screen. Help please.

8. Chris says:

Your tag cloud is awesome!
    Do you have any documentation on compiling skins?

9. Hi,

I get an error too: when FatCloud is active, it shows correctly in the sidebar widget, but my blog takes time to load (about 20 seconds) and then I get a popup ” ! relative”.

What can I do? I really like the plugin ! Thanks !

Blandine

10. Rob says:

Love the cloud. Is there a limit to the number of tags it will display? (Some tags from my latest post did not show up in the cloud). Thanks!

11. Chris says:

When I try to compile the skins I get the following error:

1046: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: DOMTagEvent.

Can anyone help me?

12. ken says:

works fine with Wordpress 2.9.2. BUT, everytime I load a new page I receive a javascript alert “relative”. Also, it take a long time to load. Thanks

13. Jeff says:

I can get the plugin options to display but when rendering the page I also get this in a popup: ! relative:

I’m using XAMPP on Windows 7. Is this the reason?

14. djepy says:

Really nice ! I’ve played with WP 2.9.2 yesterday for the first time, then installed few extensions, including FatCloud, and it just worked out of the box. In addition, it looks really nice. But unfortunately for me, I’m working on Joomla… Are you thinking about writing FatCloud for Joomla ?

15. Andrew says:

Hi! i would like you to know that im got this error when i installed the plugin, in wordpress 2.9.2

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘=’, expecting ‘(‘ in /home5/valuepet/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/netlifes-tag-cloud-fatcloud/netlifes-tag-cloud-fatcloud.php on line 59

16. Bruce says:

Hi,

Wonderful plugin! I’ve just tested it. I’ve got to dress it up a bit on my sidebar. I’ll be using it and the near future. I’m glad it has a shortcode. I don’t like the Widget drop down menus. Thanks.

Operating Systems:
    Windows XP Pro.
    WP 2.7.1
    Firefox 3.5.10

17. I had the same issue as Andrew (Error on line 59), but I found this was because I had the wrong version of php, and upgrading to 5.2 solved the error.

18. Chris says:

Is there anyway to add a button that allows the user to save as a jpg?

19. Parker says:

Love it, BUT it’s so slow :( wish it could load up the words faster… would use it if didn’t stall the page. I’m trying to build my own using a cached XML file of tags to help improve the speed. Mine is super fast, but words aren’t as neatly organized… yet. Tough function for me to contruct. Thanks for publising.

20. Mensvita says:

Jio,

same problem like the others: it´s so slow.
    On your page is it very fast, but on my site the page is loading and loading and loading…but why or what can I do ?
    look at http://www.mensvita.de in the right sidebar.

21. brad says:

Hi Jio,

We are aware of performance issues under some circumstances. We have not had the resources lately to investigate. The source has been made publically available. We welcome any contributions made by the developer community.

22. Tonia says:

Love it, thank you! But you definitely need more font options!

23. RenSarr says:

Any chance we can get a transparent background or an image base background?

24. Paul Botang says:

Do you have ‘DomTagEvent.as’ – It seems to be missing from the developer pack. Thanks!

25. brad says:

@paul Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve added DomTagEvent.as to the developer pack and re-uploaded it. Download the updated developer pack using the link in the post above. Any problems let me know.

Can you please contribute your custom FatCloud skin? I’ll include it in the latest version for the benefit of others and we’ll recognise your contribution by mentioning you in the plugin documentation.

26. Paul Botang says:

Sure thing, if I have successes with making a skin I will be sure to contribute.

27. Núria says:

Hello, nice plugin. But the code it would be compatible the sidebar structure, so is all the code it would be inside an element, as all widgets are, and it would have a Title input box in the widget, so the user can put a title if he wants.

Nice work!